HONG LEONG FOUNDATION
From green practices to arts for the masses
The Hong Leong Foundation, established in 1980, drives the Group's philosophy that corporations should give back by paying it forward. The Foundation's vision is to create opportunities for residents of Singapore to grow and develop by:
- fostering education
- helping the elderly, poor and needy to have fulfilling, healthy and active lives
- encouraging the proliferation of culture and the arts
Its mission is to achieve the following charitable goals:
- provide educational opportunities for all children in Singapore
- provide avenues to improve living standards for the aged, poor and needy
- nurture local talents and extend Singapore's creative horizons
Each company in the Group also has its own community support programmes. Following the May 2008 Sichuan Earthquake, Millennium & Copthorne Hotels plc (M&C) responded swiftly with a $200,000 donation towards the rebuilding of the Wolong Primary School by aid agency, Mercy Relief. By January 2009, the school welcomed back its students, who had been relocated to temporary shelters after the quake rendered their original school structure unsound.
Examples of some of the Group's initiatives are:
- Charity - The Hong Leong Foundation has conducted an annual year-end giveaway to the needy elderly since 1982. moreâ€¦
- Heritage - In 2009, Hong Leong Foundation committed to a $5 million donation to the Asian Civilisation Museum, in an effort to bolster appreciation and awareness of Chinese history and culture.
- Arts - The Foundation, a long-time supporter of the Singapore Arts Festival, was also a sponsor for the immensely successful 2009 season.
- National initiatives - Hong Leong Foundation was a sponsor of the inaugural Singapore Season in London moreâ€¦
- Environment - City Developments Ltd (CDL) is an industry leader in green practices for its residential and commercial properties. moreâ€¦
- Corporate Social Responsibility - CDL is the only Singapore corporation to be recognised for its CSR programmes at the Asian CSR Awards 2008. moreâ€¦